These healthy cornbread muffins are great additions to any meal or even serve as breakfast. With simple ingredients and minimal prep time, these cornbread muffins are done in no time!
These healthy cornbread muffins are very similar to my Easy Savory Cornbread recipe. I made a few ingredients modifications, baked them in the muffin mold, and voila, you have the perfect cornbread muffins!
What You'll Need to Make Healthy Cornbread Muffins
Here is the full list of all ingredients needed for this recipe. For precise measurements, please look at the recipe card.
- Eggs: We need four large eggs for this recipe. Eggs will help bind all ingredients together, and muffins will have a striking yellow color.
- Oil: I used only half a cup of canola oil for this recipe. Feel free to substitute for any oil you prefer, but please note the taste might differ.
- Kefir: For this recipe, I used less kefir and more sour cream. I like my cornbread muffins batter to be more on the firm side.
- Sour cream: As I mentioned, I increased the sour cream quantity to get the texture I wanted.
- Corn flour: I used corn flour for this recipe. This will give the muffins an incredible texture.
- Baking powder: Just a little bit of baking powder to lift the muffins.
- Salt: We need a little bit of salt to add taste.
- Feta cheese: I always add feta cheese to the cornbread muffins or cornbread in general. The taste combo is just divine, and at this point, it's become a tradition.
- Seasoning: I wanted to mix it up slightly, and I sprinkled everything bagel seasoning for added taste and texture.
Why I Love These Savory Cornbread Muffins
- Easy to make and short prep time
- Simple ingredients
- Beautiful texture and divine taste
How to Make Cornbread Muffins
- Grease the muffins mold or baking cups and preheat the oven.
- In a medium-size bowl, add wet ingredients.
- In another bowl, add dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and add feta cheese.
- Bake until golden on top.
- Substitute corn flour with cornmeal for a more defined texture.
- Add veggies to the batter, like zucchini or jalapeno, if you prefer spicy food.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Cornbread Muffins
- Grease the muffin mold or baking cups: if you skip this step, the muffins will stick, especially to the baking cups.
- Fill the muffin mold or baking cup to the top: the cornbread muffins will get that beautiful dome when you fill the muffin mold to the top.
- Don't overbake: the muffins will become dry if you bake them for too long. Bake them until the toothpick doesn't have any wet batter. You want the muffins to be golden on top but still moist from the inside.
How to Serve Cornbread Muffins
My family loves to eat these muffins for breakfast, but you can serve them with any meal. They go well with any soup
, or even salmon
How to Store Cornbread Muffins
These cornbread muffins are the best when served warm, but they will still taste great if you store them in the air-tight container at room temperature for up to two days.
More Appetizers and Sides that You'll Love
Have you made this recipe? Please let me know in the comments below. I would love to hear your suggestions and recipe variations.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup kefir
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp corn flour (I recommend Bob's Red Mill golden corn flour)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Everything bagel seasoning
Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheits. Generously grease the muffin mold with unsalted butter (or the baking cups).
In a medium-size bowl, add eggs and beat with a wire rack for a minute. Add oil, kefir, and sour cream. Mix until combined.
In another bowl, add corn flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until incorporated.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and fold with a spatula until combined. Add feta cheese and gently mix until combined.
Scoop the batter into the muffins mold or baking cups and fill until the top. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and bake for 35 minutes or golden on top.
Check the doneness with a toothpick. There shouldn’t be any wet batter on the toothpick. Serve immediately. Enjoy!