This easy savory cornbread recipe will be your family's favorite! With just a few ingredients and a few simple steps, you will have the most delicious cornbread recipe!
This cornbread recipe is traditionally called proja in the Balkan area. It's exclusively served as a savory side dish or even as a replacement for bread.
What You'll Need to Make an Easy Savory Cornbread
Here is the full list of all ingredients needed for this recipe. For precise measurements, please look at the recipe card.
- Eggs: We will use four large eggs. Eggs are helping to give structure to cornbread. They also contribute to the color, flavor, and consistency of cornbread.
- Oil: I used canola oil in this recipe. You can substitute it for any other oil you prefer.
- Kefir: I used plain kefir for this recipe. I like the combination of kefir and sour cream for this cornbread recipe. It will be soft and delicious even after a day or two. Kefir is excellent for gut health, bone health, and it can boost your immune system.
- Sour cream: Sour cream will give softness to this cornbread.
- Cornmeal: I used Bob's Red Mill medium grind cornmeal.
- Baking powder: We need just a little bit to lift the cornbread.
- Salt: Adding a little bit of salt for flavor.
- Feta cheese: I used crumbled feta cheese for this recipe. The feta texture and flavor are perfect for this cornbread recipe. I have not tried to use any other cheese.
- Sesame seeds: We need a little bit to sprinkle on top.
How to Make an Easy Savory Cornbread
First, preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit and grease a 10-inch round pan (I used a cast-iron skillet). Then, in a medium-size bowl, add eggs and beat with a wire rack for a minute. Add oil, kefir, and sour cream. Mix until combined.
In another bowl, add cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add feta cheese and mix until incorporated. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden on top. Cut into pieces and serve immediately. Yum!!!
I love this cornbread! It has that golden crust on the outside,
and it’s soft and filled with feta cheese on the inside.
Have you made this recipe? I would love to hear your comments
What Goes Well with Cornbread
Savory cornbread is a perfect side dish for any meat or stew. Here are some of the ideas:
How to Store an Easy Savory Cornbread
The cornbread is the best when you eat it warm, but it will still be delicious and soft if you leave it in an air-tight container on the counter for up to two days or in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- 4 eggs
- 0.4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup kefir
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 + 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
Preheat the oven to 400 Fahrenheit and grease a 10-inch round pan (I used a cast-iron skillet).
In a medium-size bowl, add eggs and beat with a wire rack for a minute. Add oil, kefir, and sour cream. Mix until combined.
In another bowl, add cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add feta cheese and mix until incorporated. Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden on top. Cut into pieces and serve immediately. Enjoy!